Thursday, October 20, 2016

When you go apple picking


The ladies and I went apple picking this weekend. Quintessential Fall activity, right? Well, this is the first time I've done it. The ladies had fun picking up rotting apples from the ground, climbing trees, searching for grasshoppers, sorting A and B apples and deciding if the worm holes were too big to be a B apple.

Now what do you do when you have a giant pile of apples? You make apple desserts, of course.

First I made this pie

Did I take a picture of it? No. Mostly because it was ugly as heck. I used store-bought pie crust, because easy, and had to let my top crust thaw out then sort of mush the double crimped edges together, it looked awful. Tasted great.  Topped it with a drizzle of cream. Swoon. That's the old fashioned-y thing my family does with apple pie and chocolate pudding. Cream. On top. I'm sure it'd be great on lots more things.

This recipe has you par-cook the apples, and I didn't think it went overboard on spices. No idea what variety apple we used. The person in charge didn't know, so I just went with it. I like that it used both cornstarch and tapioca for thickening.


A few days later, my baby and I made apple cupcakes using this recipe. She gathered her own apples specifically for her apple cupcakes. She wanted to make apple frosting, but I convinced her, because of her great love of pancakes, to use this maple frosting recipe instead.  The frosting is different. It was extremely soft. You use an entire cup of real maple syrup. When I dumped it in the mixer, I felt I'd made a huge mistake as it started whipping. So I upped the powdered sugar. Maybe my butter was a little too soft, but it turned out yummy. Just be aware it'll feel like a lot of syrup.

The cupcakes were a hit! People were declaring left and right they want these for their birthday cake. The cake was moist and heavier than a regular cake.

Be aware though....hand-grating apples is not awesome. If you have an electric grater, use it, save your fingers as well as your kitchen from all the sticky bits of apples flying everywhere.


I didn't peel the apples. If you look closely on this picture (full disclosure, I ate this cupcake for breakfast the next day...and it was so good) you can see the red peel. And we topped them with white pearl candies. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Now that sounds yummy. I am just sitting here wondering if I should get to work and make an apple cake for my daughter or if I should just snuggle with our new baby????? It's a boy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...