Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gooseberry Pie Time

If you're not related to my Grandma Evelyn then you may not know what a gooseberry is.  But today I made a gooseberry pie. And it rocked.  So, get out to your farm stands and farmers markets, and snatch up all the gooseberries. Before I do.

homemade gooseberry pie
I would compare this pie to a tart cherry pie, but better.  Trust me. 

Now for a tip on gooseberries.  You have to pick them over.  Say what? 

Let me introduce you to a gooseberry.  See, there's a fluff end and a stem end.  Using your fingernails, pinch them off at the berry base.  That's it.  You don't want these in your pie.  Yuck.  So take the time to pick em over.

Now for the pie.

Step 1. Make your favorite pie dough for a two crust pie. If you need a good pie crust recipe, please use my favorite recipe located...here... as it will not fail you and is tender and flaky and all that is good in a pie crust. Plus, you can choose to use Crisco or Lard with your butter. Options are so nice. Put the crust in the fridge as you make the filling. A nice cool dough will cook up so beautifully. 
Buy a store bought pie crust. I am over making pie crust.



Step 2.  Filling time.  Recipe as follows...



Fresh Homemade Gooseberry Pie
3 cups ripe gooseberries (remember to pick them over)  I used two half pint cups and ended up with close to 3 cups
3/4 Cup Sugar
3 Tbl. Honey
3 Tbl. Cornstarch
Pinch of Salt
2 Tbl. Butter

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Put all the ingredients except the butter into a saucepan and cook over medium heat.  While cooking, smoosh the berries with the back of your spoon.  You don't have to crush them all, but get most of them.

Just bring to a light boil and when mixture starts to thicken, remove from heat.  Stir.  You don't want this to burn.

Now, pour your filling into the bottom crust.  Dot the filling with the reserved 2 Tbl of butter.  Top this with the top crust.  Crimp the edges.  Cut slits in the top crust for steam to vent.  I use the 3 slit method.

Top pie loosely with foil and place in oven and bake for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes have passed, turn temperature down to 350 F,  remove the foil from the pie and cook until the crust is a lovely golden brown.  This took me approximately 20 minutes.  Pay attention, a burnt crust might be the end of the world.

Let pie cool.  This is an important step.  While it is cooling, the pie is finishing its cooking and thickening up and becoming a thing of beauty.

Serve with vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream.  Yum!





Thanks for reading.  Hope you can find some gooseberries and give them a try.  They're an old timey food that I think are fun and unique, and definitely due for a comeback.  Check out your local farmer's market because chances are they won't be at your super market... unless your super market is the raddest.



8 comments:

  1. Yum, it's a very English dish, they use it a lot. Any berry is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing these great gooseberry recipes, I'm so intrigued!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gooseberries give me goosebumps!! They are my best friends favorite and I'm forwarding this to her because I know she'll love it! Plus...she'll love your pie crust recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I've never had gooseberry pie.....now I can't wait to try a slice! Great recipe share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks DELICIOUS. And, I have never seen or bought or eaten a goodeberry...but now I want to. Your pie looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, you just have the most charming way of posting a recipe!! This looks amazing. I've never tried a gooseberry, but I am going to be on the lookout now, and I'll make sure to pick them over if I make some pie! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw we dont get gooseberries here. But growing up we had our own gooseberry bush next to the swimming pool - we would love eating them after swimming. Now I miss them :-( And the pie looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never had a gooseberry but that looks yum!
    Thanks for sharing this with us at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...