Monday, January 14, 2013

Get your mending on

patch pants cute
My brother-in-law told me recently that even though I have girls, they play like boys.  It's true.  My daughters are the rough-housing, chase the dog around the house, wrestle things to the ground and crawl around like whatever animal they are playing today, kind of girls.  Quite often this involves shimmying around on their hands and knees...and wearing out the knees in their pants.  I am not completely opposed to my kids wearing holey jeans...I'm frugal...but it isn't my favorite either to have them running around like a bunch of ragamuffins.  So....patch time.  But not just any patches...oh no...we're giving their jeans an all new style.
That would be the pile of pants needing mending in my house...

So, you start with a rip.  Turn the article of clothing inside out.

Cut out a piece of fabric that extends past the rip a good inch on all sides.  Pin it in place.  It is probably a good choice to use a piece of fabric that has been pre-washed.  I know this is difficult as I rarely pre-wash my fabric before using it and so therefore rarely have scraps that have been pre-washed.  This is a piece of old sheeting that I am using to make my Valentine's quilt.  So, I actually did use pre-washed in this case.  I wouldn't say it was a complete necessity, but fabric does shrink a bit...so be forewarned.

Turn pants right-side-out now.  First step is to make a blanket stitch around the rip. I used 4 strands of regular embroidery thread. You can either use a contrasting color of thread or try and match it to the pants.  You can also choose to trim away the raggedy ends or as I did here, tack them down with some simple running stitches.

Using a running stitch, circle around and around the patch to help reinforce the weakened fabric..plus it looks cute.  When you are finished with your stitches, turn the garment inside out again and trim away the excess fabric.  I would say leave approximately 1/4" of fabric around your stitching.

Here's a sort of up close so you could see the stitches in the middle.  Obviously pale yellow thread doesn't really show up that great.  Oh well.

Here is an example of a patch that I decided I didn't like.  So I unpicked the red running stitches.  If you're not loving something...change it.

I mended leggings.  Gave these ones some cute little embroidered flowers using the daisy stitch.

Remember the one above that I didn't like...this is what I changed it too.  I used a lighter shade of embroidery floss for the running stitches than the blanket stitch around the rip and gave this one some flowers as well.  So cute!

Here's an example of matching my thread to the color of pants.  So, you don't see my stitches much, but the pattern on the patch fabric comes through.  Both my girls are thrilled with their "new" pants...and I'm thrilled that I am not buying new pants half-way through the school year.

Thanks for reading!!

Love if you'd follow the Hearth on Facebook!


Heather

17 comments:

  1. This is fantastic Heather!!! I may post all my kids jeans on over to you for repair...Great idea xxx Nat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ummmm...thanks for the generous offer Nat...Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Very cute! I especially love the fabric under the jeans, my 3 year old is very tough on her clothes but tiny slip of a thing that only grows up not out. This is perfect for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, you totally need to do this then! It's actually fun, because you get to be creative...but it's very useful at the same time!!!

      Delete
    2. You can also sew a little cut cuff on the pants to add some height with lace, fabric or ruffles. My boys are fast growing rails too

      Delete
  3. That tough girl with the ballerina necklace...love it! Hey...this is a sewing project that even I can handle! Yay! And so cute too! Now I don't crawl around on the floor much anymore, but I do catch my jeans on barbed wire fairly regularly!! Thanks for the sewing lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Danni! Glad you like it!! I really hope you use it, you'll have the stylingest jeans 'round the farm!

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah...forgot to say...thanks for the love on my baby! Even though they're tough girls, they're girly girls too! They're a good blend of girly and tomboy. Love em!

      Delete
  4. I love to use scrap as a patch. Ewan shredded a knee at school. I fussy cut a pirate to cover it up. His new favorite pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaawwww. Well no wonder they're his favorites now. You made them so cool!

      Delete
  5. These are so cute, Heather ! To think in the past I purchased jeans like this in stores, when you can do it yourself! :) Kind of excited! E has a TON of jeans, and I mean A TON with holes. Off to see if I have any old shirts/fabrics I can use for patching :) Thanks for the great tip & tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited you're excited! It is pretty easy and changes up jeans and makes them cute in a new and different way.

      Delete
  6. This is awesome! The frugal in me loves that you just patched their jeans. I love that you used embroidery thread because it looks purposeful! Great job!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Problem Heather, thanks for coming by and check it out. It really is a fun project. It's quick and you get to use your pretty fabrics and thread...so it's a fun one.

      Delete
  7. I've tried mending jeans before and it is difficult for me to sew through only the one layer. Any tips on avoiding this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this post, I used your suggestions to mend my daughters' pants this last week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...