Sunday, March 11, 2012

Seeds to be sown and St. Patty Breakfast Sandwiches

First things are first...St. Patrick's day is in a few days and if you're searching for something easy and fun and tasty for St. Patty's breakfast, then make this...


Green Eggs And Ham Breakfast Sandwiches.  Super easy.
How to make green eggs and ham as follows...
 Ingredients you need are:
English muffins-Toasted
Canadian Bacon-fried up nice and tasty
American Cheese-a classic
Kraft Sandwich Spread-Never heard of it....go look next to the mayo...I think it's thousand island dressing mixed with mayo and pickle relish...trust me.  It's good....on this at least.  I've never had it on anything else
Scrambled Eggs-With green dye added to the un-cooked eggs.  Once cooked they will be nicely green.  My kids were mightily afraid of eating these eggs...and I was a bit heavy handed with the food coloring. I think I did three largish drops of gel food coloring...so, take it a little easy on the dye.

Put all these ingredients together and you have a tasty breakfast that's a little bit green and freaky.  Just what you need on St. Patrick's...or the day after when you've had one too many Guinness Pints and all you want is some yummy hangover food.

Now, let's talk the time of year.  30 degrees one day, 65 the next.  You know it's got to be spring.  The Mister has a big project this weekend...making me grow boxes for my seeds because they have got to be planted in the next couple of weeks.  What seeds you might be wondering?

These seeds!  My order was just delivered from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds  I have no science really behind choosing them as a the provider of my seeds...except that they have a store in Missouri and one in California.  I live in Utah...so, I felt like I was right in the middle of the two stores and surely that meant the seeds sold at these locations would clearly thrive in my desert clime.

I mean, some of the online heirloom seed providers are located in Maine.  Come on, I know for a fact that a Maine sown seed is definitely not going to work for me.

Wanna know what I'm gonna attempt to grow?  I am only doing two re-grows.  Everything else is a complete experiment.  And starting my own seeds is a complete experiment...this could be the worst garden disaster EVER!

Purple Podded Pole Bean...they're purple.  How could I not choose them?
Country Gentleman Sweet Corn...sounds so refined
Parisian Pickling Cucumber or cornichons...this group of three is going to be my attempt at re-creating the Native American growing practise of the 3 Sisters.  Normally there would be squash in there..but I feel that Parisian Pickling Cucumbers will work just as well as squash...right?

Detroit Dark Red Beet
Golden Beet...Yum on the beets.  My husband who swears beets are the devil....actually loves them.  Well, he loves the beet greens lightly steamed with lemon juice, salt and pepper sprinkled on top.

Parisienne Carrot...These are supposed to taste just like a carrot is supposed to taste...and are small and round!!!  Can't wait to see these pop up!

Honeydew Tam Dew Melon...I have a terrible record with melons.  I have never attempted honey dew though...cross fingers.

Padron Peppers...these are supposedly Martha Stewart's new favorite pepper. 

Emily Basil...chosen strictly because of a beloved member of our family has the name Emily.

Blue Curled Scotch Kale...these are going in my flower beds.  Shhhh... don't tell The Mister...he has a thing about planting produce in the flowers.  Whatever.

French Breakfast Radish...yes, there is a French thing going on here...but from what I've heard the French are very finicky when it comes to their produce.  They only want the best.  So if it's good enough for the French,  yeah...you know.

A slew of tomatoes...Green Zebra, Black Cherry, Pierce's Pride, Fox Cherry and Egg Yolk.

Lincoln Garden Peas and a bunch more. 

You may be wondering at the size of my garden...

Extremely petite.  This is a photo from last year's weeding attempt.  I would say it's approximately 8 feet by 8 feet and that might be generous.  This is why I am desperate to convince The Mister to let me tear up some grass on the side of our yard.  This is where my precious 3 Sisters are going.  I need more space.  I'll keep whispering sweet nothings in his ear until he consents to my wishes.

Now, one more thing...You may have noticed I was wearing something in the top picture...

Only the sweetest most perfect pair of slippers ever!  We searched high and low for them.  I wanted a soft sole.  Because, how can you get comfy if you're wearing shoes...which a hard-soled slipper basically is.  I wanted a back on them and I wanted them to be perfectly fuzzy.  They are called Sophie Soft Sole Sheepskin Slippers and I bought them on Amazon.  They are truly amazing. 
Granny Square Pic of the Day

As always, thanks for reading!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...